Piano Lessons in Your Home, Great Neck, NY - Local Great Neck Piano Teacher with 30 Years Experience!
RSS

Recent Posts

Spring is in the Air!
Start the New Year with Piano Lessons!
Your Great Neck NY Piano Teacher Wishes You a Happy Thanksgiving!
How Long Should a Piano Student Practice
Now On YouTube! Your Great Neck NY Piano Teacher

Categories

Great Neck, NY Piano Lesson Announcements
Great Neck, NY Piano Lesson Tips
powered by

My Blog

How Long Should a Piano Student Practice

Piano lessons Great Neck NY
How Long Should a Piano Student Practice?

Hello and greetings from your Great Neck, NY piano teacher, Ira Baslow!

This a question I'm often asked by piano students and the parents of their children taking piano lessons.

I'd like to shed some light on this subject by discussing some of the variables that effect the time allotted for piano practice.

1. A big factor is what level of playing the piano is the student at. A beginner will practice less than an intermediate and advanced student based on the fact that their is less material and compositions to work on.

2. Also, how many extracurricular activities is the student involved in. Aside from regular school work are there sports, dance lessons, private tutoring etc involved?

3. Motivation also comes into play. Are the piano lessons intended to simply enjoy being able to play some favorite music selections or is the student looking to become a classical concert pianist.

With that being said, no matter what the goals of the piano student might be, my view on how long should a piano student practice is...

Consistency above quantity of time. I would prefer a piano student to practice 15 - 20 minutes a day five days a week as opposed to two hours in one practice once a week.  It is by sitting at the piano on a regular basis that one becomes more proficient at honing in their skills at playing the piano. Also a funny thing starts to happen as one plays on a regular and consistent basis. Playing the piano becomes more enjoyable and less intimidating and the length of practice time begins to increase naturally.

I hope this clarified the question of how long should a piano student practice the piano. So until next time...keep making music!

17 Comments to How Long Should a Piano Student Practice:

Comments RSS
Ronal Tie on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:51 AM
Considerably, the article is really the freshest on this notable topic. I concur with your conclusions and will certainly thirstily look forward to your forthcoming updates. Saying thanks can not simply be sufficient, for the exceptional lucidity in your writing. I can instantly grab your rss feed to stay abreast of any updates. Authentic work and also much success in your business dealings!

ANU Foundation on Friday, August 09, 2013 3:19 AM
I am a bid fan of piano and feel pleased after reading your blog.Its humble request to you that, please keep sharing such kind of nice blog for piano practice.

college paper on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:03 AM
I've always love to learn on how to play the piano but my mom didn't allowed me. So now that I have my own kids, I will let them learn how to play the piano.

essay service on Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:22 PM
Though it is a long time sitting, it benefits into great making music!Hope these 15 - 20 minutes a day five days a week as opposed to two hours in one practice once a week would be a successful path into your world of music.

EWP Training Melbourne on Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:45 AM
Thanks for sharing actually your blog is really useful for me keep it up

Office Supplies Melbourne on Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:04 AM
Hi, nice post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing.

www.odbierzbonus.com on Monday, March 10, 2014 3:05 PM
Nice layout!

Best Paper writing service on Friday, May 30, 2014 11:19 PM
Great piece of writing about the student practice for writing, I really liked the way you highlighted some really important and significant points. Thanks so much, I appreciate your work.

réplicas de relojes on Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:45 AM
Haben Sie in einem Versuch, versuchen, schuetzen Ihr verliert? réplicas de relojes http://www.replicarelojesrapido.com réplicas de relojes

réplicas de relojes on Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:57 AM
Waehrend Wann wohl bieten Ihnen ein bisschen wenig Bit der Gewinn, sie sind in der Lage, schnell fall weil der Zeichen des Gluecksspiels. réplicas de relojes http://www.replicarelojesrapido.com réplicas de relojes

Nola A. Thompson on Monday, November 02, 2015 5:29 PM
Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article.

Academic Writers on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:15 AM
Ira Baslow i think you are a great teacher because after reading your blog so it really help me a lot to practice about how long should a piano play. So i follow your instruction and later in touch with you regarding this.

academic writing help on Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:27 AM
These are such helpful tips to learn piano. I have so much benefit from it. I am so thankful to you for sharing such a valuable post with us.

Fake Watches on Monday, June 11, 2018 9:35 AM
first visit, Greetings. you write the article I like, thank you

Buy dissertations online on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 4:21 AM
I am glad to view such a great article, i sit tight for an additional article additional fascinating on peruse. Manner cool! exactly greatly substantial points! i like you composing this article in addition to whatever remains of those website will be generally great

Sam Stone on Friday, July 13, 2018 4:40 AM
Great to read article about piano student practice which i like reading.You have made a great effort in making this post which i appreciate it a lot. Electrical Rubber Matting made with quality rubber

Mason Wood on Friday, July 13, 2018 5:06 AM
Very well written article about teaching piano. You have selected a great topic to write.Keep up your good work. playground safety mats available at discount