Tips on How to Choose a Piano Teacher
Hello and welcome from your Great Neck, NY piano teacher Ira Baslow to the I Want My Piano Lessons Blog!
Today I'd like to address a very important and common question. How to choose a piano teacher. I've decided to break this down into a list of tips for easy reference. So here goes.
1. I feel at the top of the list is this. Is the prospective piano teacher receptive to your goals of wanting to learn the piano ? Do you want to learn to be a classical pianist ? Are you interested in playing popular music or perhaps a little of both ? See how the piano teacher reacts (the piano teacher should initiate this inquiry).
2. Is the piano teacher capable of teaching the styles of music you're interested in ?
3. On a gut level are you comfortable with the piano teacher's style of teaching and communication? Is this someone you feel you'll get along with ? After all you will be taking piano lessons for some time and it is important that your piano lessons be inspiring as well as fun!
4. Does the piano teacher come to your home to teach ? This is important if time and travel constraints are an issue. Also, especially for children, home can be a more comfortable environment for taking their lessons.
5. Does the prospective piano teacher offer a free introductory piano lesson ? If you're trying out several piano teachers this can play a big role as far as keeping your costs down on choosing a piano teacher.
In conclusion, I hope these tips help you in finding a piano teacher so you can ultimately...experience the joy of playing the piano!